Vanguard University AnnouncementDecember 31, 2018
Introduction to Vanguard Emergency Management
Vanguard EM Disaster Housing Inspectors are independent contractors who have the opportunity to be deployed when a disaster (i.e. – fire, flood, hurricane, or tornado) has occurred and there has been a disaster declaration. The length of disaster declarations vary based on size and the amount of damage caused by the event.
Being a Disaster Housing Inspector can be both a rewarding and challenging experience. Successful Disaster Housing Inspectors are able to perform a variety of tasks. To ensure this is the right opportunity for you, see some examples below!
Tasks of a Successful Disaster Housing Inspector:
- Can verify ownership and occupancy of damaged homes
- Can record damages of the interior and exterior of damaged dwellings
- Can select viewed damages from a list of disaster related losses; and photograph damaged property
- Can supply at your own expense needed items such as
- Tools (standard tape measure, rolling tape measure, clip board, notecards)
- Safety clothing and/or equipment (safety Glasses, safety boots)
- Has the opportunity to work 7 days a week during a deployment, often longer than 10 hours a day
- You can schedule and organize your own appointments
- Your expenses can be sent electronically throughout the week
- Your inspections will undergo Quality Control reviews
- Novice Inspectors (0- 500 inspections) are paid $35 per inspection, intermediate inspectors (501-2500 verified inspections) are paid $39 per inspection, Advanced (2501+ verified inspections) are paid $45 per inspection. All inspectors are reimbursed for allowable field expenses (rental cars, airfare, lodging, mileage if not using rental car) and will receive the GSA per diem rate daily while deployed.
Ready to Get Started!
All persons interested in this opportunity must pass an "e-QIP" background investigation prior to deployment. During the registration process you will be asked to give permission for a background investigation. Please review the background overview process provided at time of registration.
Vanguard EM provides on-line resources through our Vanguard EM University
and in-person training at various locations through the US. Your account in The Vanguard EM University will be created within 24-48 hours of registration completion. You will then be able to use your email address as your username in the LMS site. Select the "forgot password" link for further login instructions. They will be sent via email.
How it Works
All Interested Persons:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must completed registration on our Inspector Portal
- Must complete and pass the required “e-QIP” background process
- Must complete the Inspector Contractor Agreement along with some additional forms for payment
- Are requested to attend an in-person ACE 4 training (mock inspection)
- Update your availability status on the Inspector Portal
Reimbursable Travel Expenses:
- POV mileage
- Rail/Taxis/Public Transportation
- Laundry: Up to $15 on trips exceeding 14 days
- Rental Car
- Fuel for rental car
- National Travel transaction fees: Booking fees for airfare, hotel & rental car
- Meals: Housing inspectors will be compensated for meals and incidental expenses. The amount will be in accordance with the federal GSA rate schedule for the location of performance.
For additional information on Reimbursable Travel Expenses view Vanguard EM’s Travel Policy.